The Castor bean (Oleum Ricini) is also known as Palma Christi due to its shape and healing properties. Traditionally, Castor oil taken internally acts as a strong cathartic and laxative, it used to be taken to help induce labour. A gentler use that we love to recommend to patients is in the form of a pack placed over the abdomen, or any other area of the body that needs healing. This oil has strong healing properties when it is absorbed into the lymphatic circulation and provides a soothing, cleansing and nutritive treatment. It also stimulates the immune system and tonifies internal organs. These effects result in the removal of toxins and lowering of inflammation throughout the body.
So what is a castor oil pack and how does it work? A castor oil pack is simply a flannel cloth that has been saturated with castor oil placed on your body. You apply it to the affected area, where you want to stimulate healing or where you are suffering inflammation, and keep it on all night. A wonderful aspect of using castor oil packs is that it is very safe to use.
People who use the packs find a noticeable improvement in sleep, energy levels, and clearing up of skin symptoms. It can also help with headaches, liver disorders, constipation, diarrhea, intestinal disorders, gallbladder inflammation or stones, conditions with poor elimination, night-time urinary frequency, and inflamed joints, and most important general detoxification.
Here is a detailed description of how to use and get the most out of a castor oil pack.
What You will Need:
- A piece of flannel or cotton cloth, thick enough to hold the oil
- Castor oil
- Tensor bandage
- Large towel
- You may also want to wear old clothes when you perform this procedure to avoid stains
How to Do It:
- Put on your old clothes so you protect your nice clothes from unsightly oil stains.
- Fold your piece of flannel to 4 thicknesses and drizzle with castor oil. Use only enough so that the cloth is soaked but not fully saturated.
- Place the cloth over the affected area (option: cover it with plastic to keep the oil from escaping).
- Wrap a tensor bandage around your body to hold the castor oil pack in place while you sleep with it overnight. Note: Some people recommend using heat on top of the pack, but the heat of your blankets plus your body heat is all the heat you need.
- Store the castor oil pack in a bag until the next use, no need to wash it in between treatments.
- When you are ready for the next treatment, drizzle more castor oil on flannel and repeat above steps.
All credit goes to Dronyk Health Clinic